In August 2010 three Maidenhead United fans were banned from attending home games, by a kangaroo court, for crimes they didn't commit.
These men promptly encountered a jobsworth security blockade, and so escaped to the non-league underground.
Today, still stigmatised by the MUFC Ltd hierarchy, they survive as supporters of fancy.
If you enjoy a train away day - and if you can find them - then maybe you can share a drink with ... the K-team!

Monday, 10 November 2014

Away Day Diary: Wealdstone 1-1 Maidenhead United (01/11/14)

^^^ Opponent specific match tickets. And they didn't write 'Maidstone'. Massive respect.

^^^ I would also post the above message on Facebook. A couple of friends - both armchair fans of Premier League teams (nothing wrong with that, per se, BTW) - mentioned, in reply, the infamous Wealdstone Raider. I liked Will H's response, that the Raider is 'almost as embarrassing as the MMS'. ;-)

09:30 meet in the Greyhound for breakfast. Macleods (M) and (P), Craig (who was missing Chelsea vs QPR for this) and Brian McK would join me (Nb. yours truly was the only one on the ale). My parents were also there, incidentally, although they had better things to do than catch the 10:42 to Ealing Broadway. After a couple of changes (as aforementioned - in at least one of the blog posts linked above - it takes almost as long to get from Ealing Broadway to Ruislip Manor, as it does to get from Maidenhead to Ealing Broadway!), we were - as planned - supping pints in J.J. Moon's shortly after midday (Moorhouse Brewery's Black Cat, BTW, was excellent). Here we would soon be joined by Les, Stef and friend(s), plus others. Also Whitley Bay fan Northwood Mark South Ruislip Mark; Macleod (M) has bumped into Mark at a couple of Snuff gigs, in recent times, but I'd not seen him since, I think, the Battle of the Bays at Herne Bay in January 2011. All this made for a buzzing pre match atmosphere; indeed, as Educated Left Foot mentions on his blog, 'it made a change to enter a pub on amatch day containing a dozen or more Maidenhead United fans'.

^^^ Time for a very quick pint in Ruislip Manor's Wealdstone's excellent clubhouse before we entered the ground, shortly after kick-off.

^^^ Spot the ball (CLUE: NOT on the deck!)

^^^ First half match action. Most of it took place down this end, as Maidenhead dominated (albeit with only a series of corners, the odd goalmouth scramble, and a goal line clearance to show). It wasn't a great spectacle, indeed much of the first period was spent basking in the November sunshine, chatting to a couple of friendly stewards about what they think might happen to the vast playing fields behind the goal - and Grosvenor Vale itself, when the lease runs out (CLUE: Michael Shanly) - and admiring the impressive improvements to the ground (both covered ends extended) since the KSG's last visit. The half ended with a painful-looking injury to Danny Green. Thankfully, he was OK.

^^^ Why not? And who decides what is and isn't 'offensive'?

^^^ I love a good pin badge. Who doesn't? I own a few, although wouldn't class myself as a collector ... at least not yet! I was actually rocking the classic, IMO, Maidenhead United 1950s club emblem (with incorrect formation date of 1869) at Wealdstone. As I'd noticed on previous visits, they have a guy who sells an amazing range of enamel badges. Nothing took my fancy on this occasion, however I did buy Macleod (P) an Atlético Madrid one; massive fan, as she is, of Los Colchoneros (the Mattress Makers).

^^^ Decent turnout from Maidenhead incl. Stuart with son and father-in-law; Will H, Dave M, and Sanjay from the LCG; John G and Diamond Lights; plus plenty of youngsters. A new flag as well; as small as its owners were youthful but, still, fair play. And as you can hopefully tell from this photo, the new part of this stand makes an almighty din when bashed!

^^^ Second half match action. Wealdstone were more of an attacking force and took the lead around 70 mins. I didn't actually witness it live, as I had my back to the play trying to kick-start a 'Jonathan/ Johnson Hippolyte' chant à la 'Yaya/ Kolo Toure' (hands up for Jonathan/ Yaya, hands down for Johnson/ Kolo). The match highlights show it to be a decent strike, with Shaun Lucien (the scorer) increasingly problematic to Bobby 'The Daddy' Behzadi as the match continued (and before Behzadi was substituted). That said, the highlights package would also indicate that the match was a real good'un; end-to-end stuff. It certainly didn't seem as action-packed in the flesh, though, indeed it was 'make-your-own-fun' time for much of the second half. And we made some NOISE. Dereck 'Grandad' Brown and John Urry were loudly serenaded, as usual, whilst I hope that Northwood Mark South Ruislip Mark enjoyed the 'We're the famous Maidenhead and we went to Whitley Bay'/ 'Oh Logic pulled, in Whitley Bay' medley. The Magpies new physio, incidentally, is about as different - physically - to John Urry as you can possibly get! 'Give Steve his hat back!' :-)

Maidenhead more than deserved their equaliser (Dave Tarpey tap-in, '86). It had been coming for a while; so much so that I'd instinctively made my way down the terrace and was at the very front when the ball hit the net. I turned to jump on/ hug the person next to me; only just about managing to hold back after realising that it was Ryan D, not long recovered from a broken knee! The Stones had a couple of decent shouts for a penalty, in a frantic finish, but the Magpies looked the more likely winners as 'Johnson/ Jonathan Hippolyte's Black & Army' was belted out. The final whistle then prompted a blast of 'We love you Maidenhead'. The announced attendance of 722, meanwhile, had previously been met with disbelieving guffaws and 'You're only here cos it's Maidenhead'. 

'Nothing better than a point on the road' ~ Dennis Greene

^^^ Daniel Brown apparently signed for Wealdstone, at the end of September, shortly after his release by Maidenhead. I've been a 'Brownman' fan ever since he caught the eye in a pre-season friendly at Holyport in July 2009. I was his kit sponsor for a number of seasons and - whilst I realise that he's not the most technically gifted of footballers - appreciate the physical presence he brought to the middle of the park and the fact that he never gave less than 100% for the Magpies. He came on as a second half substitute, for his new team at Grosvenor Vale, and made an outstanding block to save a certain goal. Then, at the final whistle, he hung back to singularly applaud the travelling fans. We responded in kind: 'Brownman is a Magpie'. I would then chat with him, albeit briefly, in the clubhouse. Top lad. I wish him all the best. (PS. You ain't gonna win any arm wrestling contests with Brownman!)

^^^ Ale o'clock. Both Arsenal and Bristol Rovers had won, so yours truly was in an excitable mood as I supped on the first of many Piledrivers (which, I would later learn, have much to do with Status Quo and - sadly, but unsurprisingly - nothing to do with Brian Connor). Hillsy wasn't present (he WAS at the match, though, apparently) but Sudhir and - as per the above photos - Megaphone Mick, Dave P, and Grim, most certainly were. Heart of Midlothian FC came up in conversation - Dave P is a fan - and, lead by Brian, we would serenade the bar with a (near full length) version of the truly excellent Hearts Song. I was reminded ('I remember the time') of Stones Aid II, when we got our guests' anti Harrow Borough juices flowing with a lusty rendition of 'A group of blokes from Marlow went to Rome to see the Pope' (which also had an airing, earlier this afternoon, during the second half). 'You lot are exactly as I expected,' said Grim, 'loud and boozy'. Compliment accepted!

^^^ As we prepared to head back into town - and after I had purchased a 'Magpies on Tour' t-shirt from Mr Logic (late as usual, BTW) - Les and I indulged in a game of 'headers and volleys' with some Stones Youth. Les went 'between the sticks' - as is his want - and, after one of the youngsters had nailed an absolute peach of a volley, took the ball full in the face as it rebounded off the fence-cum-goal. His glasses were smashed to smithereens and his face cut (perilously close to his left eye). The youngsters were very apologetic but, in any case, it was a complete accident. The cut - as helpfully pointed out by me, above, back in J.J. Moon's - looked nasty but, apparently, was not too painful. This, though, probably had much to do with our not-insignificant alcohol intake (e.g. I would somehow lose the aforementioned t-shirt en route to the pub from the ground). Regardless, I am happy to report that Les subsequently found a replacement pair of glasses, and no long-term physical damage was done. A hard lesson, though, for all of us: never, EVER, voluntarily go in goal.

^^^ Further pints of Black Cat before the relatively tortuous journey home. A case, for me, of 'memory kinda hazy'. 'How was your head, the next day?' several people would later ask. Well, nowhere near bad enough to prevent me from attending the second half of HAYU vs Sutton United at York Road, then accompanying the Gandermonium boys for a few post match drinkies in the Greyhound. Dr Taz would diagnose 'stand-banging thumb', as I struggled to clasp pints of Devil's Backbone and Bingham's Space Hoppy, whilst Dukey would subsequently - and perhaps accurately - describe the general conversation as a 'dick comparing argument'. The Stones deserve the same treatment, after they visit York Road in springtime (for their away fixture with us; they've already played 'at' HAYU). This will be the Saturday before Fancy Dresslemania XV; back at Sutton, where it all began. Without wanting to wish my life away, I - for one - cannot wait for April!


No comments:

Post a Comment