I was at a wedding reception, on Saturday afternoon, at the Combermere Barracks in Windsor (the day as a whole was very enjoyable, BTW).
While the official photographs were being taken outside, in the September sunshine, cheers could be heard from nearby Slag Meadow as Loser FC celebrated another goal during their 6-0 victory over Croydon FC (another MUFC Ltd foe of relatively-recent vintage).
It transpires that the players and management were then told, immediately after the game, that the budget was to be withdrawn.
Most, if not all of them, will presumably be off following this Saturday’s FA Cup game with Didcot Town (added intrigue provided by the fact that the soon-to-be-former Loser manager, Keith Scott, is already being linked with the vacant hot-seat at the Oxfordshire club).
The reasons given by Kevin Stott - the Loser
Chairman 'Founding Director' - to explain the not-insignificant budget reduction appear to be more-than-sound –
"We have taken the view that our management and financial resources would be best spent at this time on the regeneration of the Stag Meadow in order to create the self-sustaining income streams."
"Once this is achieved and our legacy is in place we can then revisit the plan to create a flagship first team that will also help inspire the footballers of the future."
Forgive me if I refrain from lavishing further praise, however, bearing in mind that we’ve heard this type of thing before, from Mr Stott, while the timing – so soon after the beginning of the season – seems rather odd.
Once again he may well have said the right things in the paper (IMO) but, as aforementioned in the previously-linked-to blog post, talk is cheap ...not unlike the bar prices at the Barracks and the new Loser FC playing squad!